Skip to main content

Memorial Day & the Dirty Thirty

We are less than theatrical around here when it comes to anniversaries or parent birthdays. I always try to get my free food (Cafe Rio credit, Jamba Juice & Firehouse subs), but we otherwise spent it relaxing as a family (Mr Smith cleaned up the house) & attending Gpa & Gma Smith's gravesites. I was very imoressed with Mr Smith when he walked up to an elderly lady we passed. He asked her who she was visiting with Lexi and she proceeded to tell about her brother who served on a boat. Lexi didn't realize why that was important, but I know it touched her that we were trying to teach our children. She teared up talking about her family. I was grateful for Eric's example of taking time to touch a stranger. We are grateful for all the brave men & women who fight for freedom. Those we lost, are not gone forever & definitely not forgotten. There is so much joy in teaching our children that.
​
Earlier that week we had the awesome opportunity to tow our van out of the driveway. Of course a new starter wasn't on the list. The next week it ended up being the battery. That van will be the death of me. I was at least grateful Mr Smith could handle the battery part. And Geico handled the towing.
​
Mr Smith also decided to force the training wheels off. Lexi was petrified, but was somehow convinced when Dad promised her $10 for the Dollar Tree if she could learn. She earned a couple dollars that day as she was able to ride without Dad holding her up. She is still scared to start & stop on her own, but it was great to see her prove herself wrong, she COULD do it.
​
We also hit up our first splash pad for the summer. That following weekend we came back with Dad to show him our favorite park & they tore it down (the playground part)! Dallin fell asleep in the car & was only wanting snacks after + school was out, so that was all a bummer. Such is life. We try. We have still watched too much TV & stuck it out at home for too many hours, but I'm trying to get my groove back. What's it like to have THREE kids? We can't just go swimming in someone's pool. Getting well-dressed & on-time happily is a big challenge (i.e. church only). Someone is always needing something. Crumbs are everywhere. The house is clean for only a few minutes before the next mess begins. I depend even more on Lexi. Bedtime had to get more objective. The smell of pee lingers. Laundry is outrageous. But it just works out. 5/28/18

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...