Skip to main content

1 Month In

Mr Smith wants me to copy my posts in for our mothers.

In many ways, it seems I still just had a baby yesterday, but we have slowly moved on from the bloody pads & early nursing woes. I guess I was paranoid about mastitis again (for a good reason!) and I've fretted over every clogged duct & went to urgent care when I thought we had thursh. I stayed up all night pumping on one side because the sharp glass nipple pain was nothing like I've ever felt before. The NP (who I thought was a joke) didn't think there were thursh concerns, but I still feel like she had a yeast diaper rash & my nipple pain was not just bad latch trauma. I got the "triple nipple cream" and the pain to the touch was gone by morning. Thank goodness! She has still had a tight bite at times, but like I figured, around a month in, and she is sucking better. Besides the nursing woes for a time, she hasn't had any issues. Knock, knock. (but not even a clogged tear duct or cradle cap!)
​
I haven't been tracking her sleep (or anything) and have just been going with the flow. But I'm pretty done with not having some sort of schedule. I've kicked her out of our room today (she is getting noisier) so we shall see how sleeping either in our closet or the office works for her. She definitely prefers belly snuggles & cuddles with dad (the only time I've gotten 4 hours), but she is still way above anything Dallin gave us. She embraces the swaddle, she will sleep in the cradle (albeit unpredictable how long she will stay there), she will put herself to sleep (sometimes crying a little), she did 3-4 hours within the first month and Dallin NEVER did that. Diaper changes are hassle free. She loves the Ergo carrier, but has cried about half of our car rides & even during our stroller ride. She will enjoy the swing for a time & day nap in it. Maybe the issue is wanting to change up the scenery. Lexi gets her to sleep a lot, which is nice so that she isn't just napping after feeds. Her siblings LOVE LOVE LOVE to hold her and comfort her. They have adjusted really well with boundaries (as well as a 2 & 5 y/o can manage). 5/21/18


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...