Skip to main content

Why Do We Celebrate Easter?

This came together last minute, but I've debated about what to do for the typical American "Easter basket" - I'm sure I posted about this last year & you know how I feel about gifts, not wanting anything to take away from why we celebrate Easter. We enjoyed a spring carnival last year, and I wanted to keep any gifts or egg hunts at that - spring fun. I found cute, small gifts in the Target $1/$3 bins that I wanted to give them but I didn't want to just gift them you know? So this is what I came up with for this year if you're like me and need an idea: Easter Treasure Hunt.

They basically had about 7 gifts to open, from bouncy balls, a small wooden bowling set, some little wooden figurines & a book. So I wrapped them all up. Most were for them to share, sometimes there was one for each. I took 7 envelopes and Mr Smith & I came up with 7 Easter/conference related questions, namely:


  • Why do we celebrate Easter?
  • What does the word Resurrection mean?
  • Why did Jesus die for us?
  • How many days until he rose again?
  • What are some of the books of scriptures or why are scriptures important?
  • Who is our new prophet?
  • How many apostles are there?


She could ask us for a hint and we tried to have a little discussion. It was more challenging than I thought to sum up a response for a 4 year old to understand but yet was also accurate. I don't like blanket statements like "Jesus died for our sins" (although great, I'm glad she remembers things from her primary teachers) if she doesn't understand what a sin is or why that matters. But she is also 4. I think it'll be good to compare her responses as the years go on.

Once the question was answered, she could open her next clue for the next gift. I tried a couple of maps, which is not my talent. Other clues were a few words for her to sound out or a photo of a letter in the mailbox.

In typical 4 year old fashion, attention span was very short in the beginning, more excited to find the present then answer questions, but she slowly calmed down and really tried. But unfortunately, I knew these also weren't every day questions so it was a good time for me to try and do a little lesson. I think this counts as FHE this week. Patience is hard, but we got through them in maybe an hour. Next time, less than 7 gifts perhaps. Or if you have older children, they can wait to open the presents later. It's also a challenge when dad takes the opportunity to mow the lawn halfway through or she falls when running over a dip in the concrete & has a meltdown. Such is life. A mother tries.

I tried to get her to answer the first question again when we were all done and before she could play - "Why do we celebrate Easter". Maybe at 4, we just want her to realize that it's important that we celebrate that He lived again, so that we can too. But I hope that one day she realizes that not only did He overcome death so that we can too, but that He overcame OUR sins as well. She is innocent now, but one day she will need to know how real that GIFT - the gift of His Atonement // the gift His mercy & forgiveness - is. His life ultimately showed us how to live BETTER, and it can last forever. We can live forever with Him, if we strive to be like Him & accept His gift of mercy & grace as a blessing in our daily lives. True joy only comes through learning & becoming like Him. I am grateful for Easter. It's a time of re-birth when we think of Spring & we think of General Conference & we think of our renewed efforts to remember HIM always.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...