Skip to main content

A Week of Play

We celebrated Memorial Day with a hike to the Y. This was not my idea. I wanted to hike, yes, but a nice, calm hike to the waterfalls. NOT a mile STRAIGHT up the friggin mountain with a toddler and 2 month old. But I wanted to get out in the pretty weather so bad, I agreed and said a hike is a hike. WRONG. About half way up, I told Mr Smith I couldn't do it. I didn't care what he thought of me, this was NOT my idea of fun in nature. Especially when right around that time Dallin started crying and squirming. I would have been done touching my hot body too. So Eric basically takes Dallin the rest of the way up in the front with Lexi on his back. She did a couple switchbacks, but Mr Smith held us all together. It was his idea any way. I definitely didn't trust my jello legs coming down, but hey, we're alive. First family hike was a ... success, sure. Never again with young tots, or ever again.




The outdoors waterpark opened up too and since it was our last week on the rec pass, I really wanted to soak in as much as possible. We got there 2/5 days planned. I tried. Dallin & I watched from afar, which is why I loved the outdoor park. I hated that we got the pass AND THEN I got pregnant. But I decided we still wouldn't use it enough this summer to be worth it. Sometimes I wish I was single (from kids) again and could just run to the Pilates class. I'm not one of those moms who are up and ready to go at 6AM yet. So the rec pass was a bust. We move on. Lexi has some memories in the water.

 
Prove library is always great, but they go to great lengths to keep the summer busy too. They have a new craft and story time each week. They also have a reading program where you can log points for various activities and get prizes. Lexi got a small eraser for mom doing I SPY for her. Then she lost it during story time. And then she cried about it in the parking lot. Life is tough. I tried to tell her it's a lesson learned. TAKE CARE OF YOUR CRAP IF YOU CARE ABOUT IT. I'm not walking back for a mini eraser you'll just lose again. But look at our $20 double stroller find...It keeps us going places. I love that it is lightweight for a double, is easy to take down/put away & easy enough to maneuver. Lexi can stand facing forward, or sit facing back. My complaint is that the caddy should come with it (cupholder/storage on the handle) instead of a $25 add-on. Mr Smith's complaint is that Lexi's seat should have a back, but then it wouldn't be a sit & stand...


We also said hello & goodbye to some friends. Catherine has lived just down the road from us and watched Lexi a few times last year, but we definitely didn't hang out enough. I love seeing these girls who I've known since the J-ville days so I'm terribly sad they're leaving for TX. Emily & Oliver are moving to TN;  it was great seeing them as much as we did, but it really wasn't enough either! It's sad not knowing if an hour drive will be the closest we'll be again! But it's nice our lives have still crossed paths since our college days.



However, one of my DC roommates moved back to SLC and invited friends with kids to her 2nd birthday party with a bounce house and pinata. It ended with a chocolate ice-cream mustache. I was just grateful she actually ate the cone because I looked back and she was out. We love friends!


And the weather is finally nice to walk to church! She was just so cute this day, walking with her little backpack at her own pace. I thought her hair was just too cute and I RARELY get a non goofy, focused picture of her these days. This girl has a hard time sitting still!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...