Skip to main content

What Dad Can Get Away With

Lexi would SCREAM bloody murder when we would try to comb her hair. The SLIGHTEST knot would cringe ears. Sometimes she would be too distracted to notice, but combing our hair became a chore nonetheless. I kinda took over brushing teeth, which she will do when we talk about "stinky face" but Daddy took over the hair and fixed this one by first making it into a game of chase. She didn't seem to mind when he would pull hard if it was a game. Then he came up with this "tough" mentality where she would raise her arms in muscle stance and they would yell "tough" every time he combs through her hair. And he isn't holding it and combing gently folks; he is doing it hard! And I just sit there smiling with a little shock on my face. She even let me do it the other day. Tough. She wants to be tough for her dad. Update: Dad doesn't get away with this EVERY time now.

We were at the dinner table and Lexi was distracted from eating, talking about a bug on the window and Mr Smith goes "I'm going to tell that bug to come kiss you if you don't eat your food". Needless to say, she busted out in tears. How he is still the favorite, I don't know.

She got a balance bike for her birthday. 
Lexi: "Thank you so much for getting me a bike, dad" 
Dad:"Well actually, mom got it for you" 
Lexi pauses and then goes "Thanks dad for bringing it up for me".
Sounds about right. 

It's 3 & up but still more of a learning curve than I expected. We got a couple houses down and she was basically done. She said it was hard. I told her she can do hard things. Only when we practice over and over will we get better. She got it, but not really. I didn't want to push it, but definitely wanted to encourage trying it out as often as possible. She was willing to start, just didn't like finishing. So dad took her out on the weekend. "Smiths don't give up". Next time I helped her "I don't give up mommy". We finally made it to the park yesterday and we had one meltdown half way where she wanted me to take the bike and her helmet. I said no way, we don't give up. She eventually got back on and with some positive reinforcement, gets a little better every time.



Some friends came over on Sunday with their 1 year old. We heard a loud thump and when they went to check on them, found the 1 year old chucking money (the piggy bank fell) at Lexi who was in her underwear (changing into her princess dress). Needless to say, we had to have the conversation about not changing in front of our friends. Maybe dad didn't encourage this one, but still.

Hearing Lexi talk: "Shore (sure)" "Okay?" or "Dats a good idea?" followed by every negotiation. One must listen carefully.  "Dat's a deaw (deal)" "You like gli-er (glitter), daddy?" "Daddy no like gli-er mommy" and the famous "I love it" and "you member (remember)?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...