Skip to main content

Sipping Hot Chocolate and Being Brave

I do love this hot chocolate time of year. My favorite thing to do for myself when I was single was get Starbucks mint hot chocolate. If I could fit it in to any date, I tried. Now, the boxed mix works well enough since I can't just sit in a coffee hot spot with my headphones in anymore.  Now the holidays are filled with different pleasures... like watching my toddler get excited about seeing a picture of Santa, talking about the presents under her tree & all her favorite ornaments. Lexi LOVES the snow and no matter how many times I tell her not to put her non-snowboot shoe in the snow, she stomps away.  And did I tell you she is excited to open her presents? 

She is also still very excited about being a big sister. She woke up this morning telling me that when the baby comes out of my belly she will hold it and how the baby can play with his toys (we started getting things out and calling them his). Her idea of sharing is to take it from them and give it back to them for 2 seconds, but she knows she is supposed to share and be nice =)

We've been a bit under the weather the past few days. I'm afraid we both have allergies that plague us constantly, but her nose started running and the third trimester just welcomed me with a slap in the face. Between sinuses that cause their issues (the worst is the cough from the nasal drip) and the indigestion that doesn't let me lay down… sleep has been torture. Plus it seems the baby is up all night in a boxing match - not painful yet, but it's hard to sleep through it nonetheless. At least PTO started and Christmas movies seem like a good excuse.

Back when we had WAY too much energy, we took a trip to the dinosaur & animal museums. It was actually a great day with her because she loves exploring and making friends. She actually played well with a tot half her size going up and down the slide with her, giving hugs and holding hands. Then she found someone just a few months apart and they ran to each other with open arms, ha! I love sweet toddlers. Her mother was just a few weeks from her due date and I felt like we should have been friends. What a shame. We went back to the kids area to play before taking off and I was even more impressed with her ability to join a group of kids and be as bold and brave as she was. She told the other mom "I'm brave" as she geared up to going into the dark tunnel that the other kids were kneeling in front of. All of a sudden she took the leadership roll and encouraged them to go first but once I took a look and told her it wasn't that bad, calling her name from the other side, she was the first to take off! That part of her personality can be a little scary at times, but she does seem to balance caution with bravery every now and then =) Basically dad is her brave side and I am her caution side. But neither one of us call everyone our friend. That's just her.


 We ended the afternoon with treats from the creamery. She picked an ice cream cone, I picked chocolate milk & we brought daddy a fritter. That's the good life.

{28 weeks}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...