Skip to main content

I Love You Mommy

I'm beginning to think the post hit count on blogger is a little off. I typically don't pay attention because it's always somewhere around say - 20 - for my average life posts. But just under 200 read what I deemed my most boring post as of yet, the cost of diapers. For one reason or another, it's good to know others care.

I have kept my blog mostly focused on Alexis and the pregnancy for the last few months. Admittedly, that is my life, but it doesn't have to be all my life. However, things like Alexis trying to stay quiet in her room so that I don't hear her awake when she should be napping… or the fact that I'm getting overly jealous of anyone who posts about their latest delivery… that is current. Current to my small, small world.



And whether I acknowledge it, the rest of the world is frighteningly on the verge of collapse. Some places are collapsing. Most of us have no idea how to really comprehend the struggles of civilians living in the Middle East. Although I appreciate Humans of New York adding perspective. Europe now is strained. The US is asking for trouble in a lot of ways, and is still trying to make sense of its internal public attacks, but perspective is interesting there. Violence is always terrible, but some children have grown up without knowing what peace is. We're still so very lucky to be in our current position. I wanted to take the time to recognize that. I do think things will get worse and so I support Mr Smith and his emergency prep focus; I'm just not ready to give up all my simple pleasures for the idea of waterproof boots and a camp stove. Sure, it's nice for some to be survivalists and understand nature. But I like looking at it from inside out. That's a simple pleasure I want to enjoy as long as possible. I hate to think of my kids not knowing what peace and comfort is. Life is luxurious even with student debt, renters insurance & my 1999 Nissan and I need to recognize that. Perhaps I should get over it sooner than later? What is really going to be expected of us? What do we really treasure?

I am just exhausted in most moments of the day. I have no idea if my body was this weary the first round, but sometimes I have a hard time getting to the nap time routine. I would totally push it off on Mr Smith if I could to read, sing and put her to bed. Not really complicated, but I guess I surprise myself. Without fail though, I cherish our last exchange of words and nothing is more important to me than telling my baby girl I love her and to hear it returned. Nothing beats,  "I love you mommy." No matter how tired we are, nothing beats being a mommy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...