Skip to main content

Baby Brother or Sister?

I've been really anxious to know if this round will be with another girl or a new experience of a little boy.  We really wanted a boy with Lexi, but of course fell in love with having a girl, even if she is a tough one. We wanted the next child to keep up with her and so we were really hoping a boy was on the radar, plus less anxiety down the road once you have one of each! And it spices things up in the family. Gender is such an interesting concept, yet I know it is divine as well as our place within the family.  God knows best. And I guess I'm just excited by what God thinks is best for our little family.

I was anxious enough to do a gender ultrasound at 16-17 weeks instead of waiting until 20 weeks, especially since I never did a 12 week ultrasound so I really want to "see" him so that it became more real. Let me tell you it is always SO cool to see them. I'm so excited to see more at week 20 and make sure that heart is functioning like it should and that he is developing normally. I still hope this is my only anxious pregnancy. Motherhood comes with constant anxiety, but it's a comfort to be normal in this situation and have I told you I hate surprises? But such is life. He looks fantastic so far.


We decided we would try to surprise everyone at once. I don't remember telling family with Lexi but we probably just skyped because we were so far. This time I decided it would be more fun to mail my mom the surprise ultrasound. She thought it was just a picture from Lexi, so when it said wait until both of them were together to skype Lexi, they did =) And I love that my mom can dream with me now. She was so excited. They opened it a couple hours before the scheduled reveal for everyone here. We invited everyone over for dessert night (we had yet to invite everyone over just to hang out). Sadly Troy and Grandpa Smith couldn't make it, but everyone else found out as Lexi took her... 5th bite? It looks like we surprised everyone who didn't realize we already knew and now I'm just glad to have something to dream about.




Of course I came down with a head cold / sinus issue the night of and so I felt pretty miserable all weekend even though I could relax with conference. I'm not sure why I ever had dreams of me getting dressed up to be involved in a picture (esp when I realized Mr Smith wouldn't), so then I focused on just getting Lexi dressed and writing it up on the chalkboard for the backyard. Even with the rainy weather, I love this spot in the backyard and how cute Lexi tolerated a mini session.

too lazy to make the 2016 photoshop look realistic



I mean she is simply adorable! The conference talk from Elder Holland touched all mothers I'm sure, but it was simply divine! I love that he phrased my most inner thoughts when he basically said no other love in mortality comes closer to the love of Jesus Christ than the love the mother has for her child.  But in more detail, there is this massive sacrifice that comes the day you choose to be a parent. It completely rocks your boat and you have part understanding until you are one.  And it's the best sacrifice you could ever, ever make.  Sometimes we focus on the sacrifices, just as a way to feel normal, mourn together, laugh together, but we fail their adorable spirits if we forget to express how much they complete our lives. When we were first married I knew the greatest value and purpose to my life would be motherhood. Is it more complicated? absolutely! But there is no greater reason to live and be my best self than to be a mother for our kids. I mean truly, if looks could kill . . .






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...