Skip to main content

We'll Get There

I do realize it is mid-August and my last posted photos were from July 4th. However, any month where I have 3 photo sessions, including a wedding, is the month my leisure activities take a back seat.  Lexi is still alive. Mr Smith and I are still alive. We are both still working thank goodness and life is relatively calm. We haven't gotten out to do much, just the occasional work party // playdate // water park visit // pioneer day at the park // mess making extravaganza.  Mostly we just play around the house.

We are a little more involved in our ward now that I'm a counselor in Primary (ages 3-11) and Mr Smith is the ward financial clerk. I think he's also supposed to teach Elders Quorum every now and again. Lexi has gotten a little more aggressive in nursery than desired and just last week dashed under three pews during Sacrament in 3 seconds and ran down the hall; on her feisty day, I told Mr Smith to stay with her and see how she acts in her nursery class. He said it's her and two other boys that stay out of the circle during singing time and run around like their parents feed them flower power. She is just tough around nap time, but half of it is just her tough nature overall. She is not a sit quiet, keep to herself child. And if anyone dares touch her toy, she will fight to the death. We still have to work on her not being the child that takes toys too. She is two. We will rise from this.

On a good note, Mr Smith also said during his watch that another child was asked to say the prayer, but none of the kids really talk much. Apparently Lexi moved on when he didn't begin the prayer and just started her own for the class. That's my girl - take charge. Her most recent popular phrase: "I do it myself"

She is finally consistent with her colors now and knows more than just blue & pink. This last month it has been fun to hear her add more words in her sentences. Sometimes it still sounds like a slur, but at least I can hold regular conversations with her. She is still a good negotiator and has a good deal of logic reasoning so it makes some arguments solvable. She is two so of course meltdowns still occur when I say no, but we can usually move on pretty quickly. She still is inquisitive as ever and there isn't much she won't attempt, although she has started this fear of bugs in her bed and the bad snowman from Frozen petrifies her.

She can officially take off her clothes and diaper and sadly it's my biggest fear when she runs into the room naked saying "I'm poopy" - heavens my heart sinks.  So we should probably start potty training soon, but I'm not ready to give up a 3-day weekend yet. She won't ever tell us she poops until she goes in her diaper and THEN she wants the potty. And it isn't obvious to us when she goes. So even though she has had some practice on the potty, she has yet to feel what it's like to actually NEED to wipe. We'll get there.

So let me sum up some adjectives / phrases when it comes to Lexi and I'll let you decide if she gets it from Mr Smith or myself:  tough, expressive, inquisitive, affectionate, assertive, playful, impulsive, helpful, empathetic & independent.











We went to my work party at Boondocks. Dad said he tried to encourage the basketball, but she was set on the large duck and had enough extra to get a Sophia wand as well. 


My bffs from the freshman college days! Hopefully I get spoiled by having them both in UT for a little bit. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...