Skip to main content

1st Trimester

*4 weeks ago*

I'm staying quite for several reasons. 1. I'm scared every day I will lose the baby so getting my hopes too high makes me anxious. 2. I'm working still and trying to stay calm with how all the logistics are going to work out {I didn't expect to be in this position again}. 3. Sometimes it's fun to keep the secret - to just smile to yourself without having to share something so personal, which is all it is at this point. 

I don't like being pregnant. I won't ever understand those who do. People can relate to being sick and getting to that low point where you think you have no idea what it's like to feel normal anymore - to lose hope in the idea that you will ever see what normal is again. I whine and I don't keep my feelings from Mr Smith. I'm selfish and want him to know exactly what I'm going through so that we can go through it together. I tell a few other close friends and family members just so he isn't my only sounding board. I don't like to walk the hard road alone that's for sure. But there is nothing to congratulate at this point.

Unlike the first time, I looked forward to each month wondering if this one would be it. I never really wanted to buy more feminine supplies and that month was no different. I took a test that was very faint and it was after several minutes so I discounted it, but knew in my heart that was the first sign. My periods are nothing but delayed; however, after another few days of nothing I knew I was pregnant again and a second test confirmed, still faint, but a little darker. I figured I was about 4 weeks along. One more test more than a week later confirmed almost instantly that I was probably 5 weeks pregnant. At 7 weeks, I started using the bathroom more than usual, I became excessively exhausted after just an hour of being on my feet and my stomach started giving me some issues. Those three things have stayed constant. I felt most like throwing up in the mornings, but so far I only threw up at ~week 8. Usually it's just a gag reflex of extra saliva in the mornings and then I feel good enough to eat and I HAVE to eat or I feel like I'm going to pass out right then. Again, the hate love relationship with food is back and it's miserable. The smells are strong and can easily set me off. I usually can only think of ONE thing that sounds good and I HAVE to have only that.  

And that's my life right now. I'm counting down to my 12 week appointment (3.5 weeks) because that's the soonest the doctor will see you for a first appt. It makes sense, but my first appointment with Lexi was at 8 weeks and they were able to get a heartbeat on my stomach. So I'm trying to be patient, hoping everything will go well until then. That's the point where you become more giddy and less anxious. I'm counting the weeks from my last period right now, but I won't be surprised if they push me back 1 week at the apt.

Week 8 has probably been the most painful mentally and physically and Mr Smith completely stepped it up with doing the dishes, straightening up the home, taking care of Lexi and helping me with dinners. He said he didn't want anything for his birthday, and unfortunately, that's what he got from us.  Somehow we'll make it up to him. (He already splurged on something personal for himself as part of home preparation).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...