Skip to main content

We say we want opportunities, but are we truly willing to inconvenience ourselves?

Here is how we do it wrong. 

We are prideful and we don't even know it. We think our way is the best way, but worse, we judge someone else for choosing a different course. And worse, we judge their said course based off 10% of the full picture. 

We limit ourselves with that train of thought.

I think it is fairly understood that there are very wrong ways to live life when it comes to living the gospel of Christ. We don't all have to live the commandments in the same way, but we all need to live the commandments so there should be a lot of overlap. And old or young, there are a lot of things that can be taught and learned.

How we learn and how we teach are tricky matters.

But gossip shouldn't be part of either. And by gossip I don't just mean backbiting and mean girls. I mean pride of heart. Pride that thinks their way is always the best way and that their knowledge is in no way limited. It's also boredom. Sometimes gossiping about others is simply more entertaining. I'm not talking about talking. We can talk about specific people or certain types of people or code it to something super general, but in the end, the conversation purpose should be to uplift. If our discussion isn't to help, encourage, or gain wisdom and especially if you would be embarrassed if said person overheard what you said, you shouldn't be "talking" about them.

We have all been there. 

Growing up, I told my mother once or twice that I would stop sharing information because I didn't like the telephone effect it had on our mutual friends. Sometimes, it's just not our story to tell. However, some people really like telling stories. And honestly, if I post it on my blog, it's free game. But I'm not sure some people realize the effects of social media like Facebook and how that conveys stories.

But what if...

Even if it's only to sympathize and help you realize life isn't so bad, why is there a need to focus on what is bad? Everyone remembers the 25 year anniversary's but forget that 1 divorce? No, gossip doesn't work like that. We like to talk about what's different. And then all of a sudden, everyone thinks the different is commonplace, especially when social media doesn't give us the full picture. But that doesn't stop gossip. Gossip just needs part of the picture. Since we are so smart, we can fill in the rest.

I learned

Maybe it is I? I enjoyed the lesson of the blind man seeking out Christ. And about the publican, Zacchaeus, who also sought Christ - both shunned in their own way from society, from their own people - because of the unrighteous perceptions of others. 

To be better.

Lessons week after week from class to class should underline the central theme of why we bother going to church in the first place. Because we need it. We need to learn the same lessons in hopes that today we are prepared to change. We need constant reminders to change (or keep going) and sometimes we need the encouragement of others to jumpstart our motivation. It is easy to point fingers and think about what others are doing, feeling justified in our little missteps. But the truth is, we won't be judged against our neighbor. I could use the eyes of my Savior to cast a sincere hello and loving eye instead of a negative "why are they even here" mentality.  I need to be better at loving, which doesn't mean opening my door to crazies, but does entail being willing to serve and love - regardless of what might come of it. Because what else is worthy of my time or money in the long run? We say we want opportunities, but are we truly willing to inconvenience ourselves in order to lift up others?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...