Skip to main content

Turning 2 & 27

I thought I would just combine our birthdays since they are only 1 month apart and we celebrated them just about equally (about as low key as you can get). I probably would have done something more, but under the circumstances of being at grandma's, moving & the fact that she won't remember, we just sang to her and ate her cake. She loved being sung to as you can see and she did pretty good with the candle too. Hello toddlerhood!



I mostly only ever talk about her so I think we can officially state she is perfectly sassy, empathetic, loving, goofy, outdoorsy, inquisitive, intelligent & brave. She has my whole heart and I love all her quirks. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever learn patience with the whininess, messes, and flat out disregard for authority, but that's just a small part of parenthood. Her word bank is still getting bigger and she is improving on her sentences - it sounds like broken English that up until now only I could really interpret. I don't think I'm qualified enough to be her mother, but I'm definitely honored to watch her learn and grow.




I decided to make some cupcakes for my birthday with an expired package and scratch frosting. They were delicious if you had a glass of milk (ended up super thick, is that what the egg whites do?). She helped. It's another one of her latest most favorite things to do - pull up a chair and "lexi help mama" and she discovered what licking the spoon means, of course.



 We went to Denny's for breakfast for a free grand slam and Firehouse subs for a free sub lunch. Not a bad way to not cook or clean for your birthday! And how could I not be happy with that girl next to me?! Her singing me happy birthday was the best. Dad hung some photos I wanted on the walls and we tried to get some sunset photos that didn't end up working out. One day I'll get them I swear, but I'll post the two non-sunset shots we did get later.

I told Mr Smith months ago that all I wanted for my birthday was my own home, so we got that far. 

And to top it all off, I ended up being a year younger than I thought. Several months ago I started saying I was 27 and I think I just got used to that idea and by the time my birthday actually came, I thought I was moving up! Thank goodness I still have another year of my youth. I also suck at math.

PS - Connie Smith made both our birthday cakes. I liked mine best: angel food cake, vanilla pudding (need I say more) and cherry pie filling. Thanks grandma!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...