Skip to main content

Thanksgiving 2014

I didn't take any pictures on Thanksgiving.  I didn't quite manage the famous Amy sweet potatoes, but I tried. And I swear next year I will use a wider, shallower pan so the topping isn't still gooey after an hour (and I might include less topping altogether). If I don't write these things down, I'll forget. Connie made a lovely meal for us all; as she always does. My parents came into town that day for Lexi kisses. She only speaks now, is all. Two months can change a toddler. She is saying phrases; she is relentless with "hey mama" "here go mama"(or daddy). She is adorable so she makes it an exciting adventure. Speaking of, she swallowed G-Grandma's blood pressure pill. So that was a terrible incident of trying to make her throw up which ended in a gag reflex and the poison control promising she will be ok since it was just one pill; watch for mild stomach discomfort that expanded into the nastiest smelling, green diaper of all times. I'm not sure how toddlers make it to adulthood. Obviously against all odds.



So because people say you should be happy even when you're sad and that you should make gratitude lists and pray more when you're emotionally spiraling which is when you want to least, here I go:

1. My daughter, Lexi. I want to squeeze her and kiss her until life itself ends. She is my best accomplishment & sense of purpose. Her existence is the sunshine on a cloudy day.

2. My long list of good friends and my short list of best friends who help me shoulder the pains of this world. They inspire me & push me along.

3. Yoga pants & Old Navy who makes them affordably in size long.

4. The mountains, they make me happy to be where I am.

5. Taylor Swift, Blank Space - just enough distraction when I need it

6. The scriptures. The temple. Latter-day prophets & apostles. Because I find comfort in knowing I can find truth, a sense of purpose, love & courage. I can depend on them when I feel at a loss with everything and everyone else.

7. Eric's family, for saving us during a hard time, for opening their doors & giving up their space. We went from never seeing each other to seeing each other every day.

8. My family, for always listening and being there just because they want to be.

9. Nursery leaders. Enough said.

10. Winco, allows me to mourn a little less over the loss of Aldi

11. That date night with Mr Smith

12. My ability to go running when I want. Even if it has only happened once this year.

13. Laughter. It is such a precious gift. Especially those souls who bring it out of people.



Things I've been grateful for since September 22, 2014:

so many things.




I hope your Thanksgiving was fabulous. I did a little bit of shopping to get a few things:

Socks of all kinds (you need them in UT)
same with tights, ugh
Slippers…easy to slip on shoes
Sweaters, Long sleeve shirts (longs)
First Aid kit
the Kitchen Plus 2000 (I hope it works)
finger-tip-less gloves

For most things, I just feel like waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...