Skip to main content

Love & Work

I'm grateful for people who get it.





Truth be told, my father was not the romantic type. He was a typical, literal, man. 

Mr Smith's least favorite parts are the ones filled with emotion and decor. He likes things literal too.

No poetry. No candles. No composed love song. No hidden messages.

But I saw my mom, like me, trying not to expect much (whether or not we could appreciate the men we married for their other, more important qualities or we literally don't expect much), but wanting just a little something special. To feel the electricity again. And that's what I'm calling romance. Anything that brings you two closer together or that says "hey I care". It's spiritual, physical, mental and dare I say it, emotional. It's "uplifting"


{how exciting things are when we first meet. our first touch. the mystery. the restraint}

I'm not great at it, but even a girl like me wants to keep a relationship excitable. And I don't want to feel guilty for being a semi hopeless romantic. For having separate needs. Needs that you shouldn't have to beg for. I'm not a silly girl, so this is my ode to women in long term relationships who still want the passion to extend past the first year. Because we love our men and we love our marriage but excitability does fade, it fades with the stressful jobs and career moves. It fades with demanding children. It just fades because the mystery is revealed and we take the constant companionship for granted.

But I don't want to have my children leave the house and feel like they were my only relationship.

We kept hearing marriage is hard work, but we never understood it. Staying in a happy, enjoyable, excitable marriage is hard work. That's what they meant. Because we are constantly changing and evolving beings. We married a soul who changes. Those souls have good moments and bad moments, but those souls are now connected to you and it's when we let the connection get wider {when we let static fill the space} that people all of a sudden use the phrase "we just grew apart." It's a bad excuse for laziness and stubbornness. You stopped getting to know your spouse. You assumed they would not change. You assumed they need not become perfected.


We want relationships to be easy. We want people to ask for help when it's convenient for our schedules or pocket book. We want to accomplish all these things and in our own way that we get frustrated when there is no room for flexibility. But we create our schedules. We make them pliable or rigid. We set expectations with one, fallible mind. We don't like giving up control. We don't like to stop, look them in the eye, and be the person they need. When we live for ourselves, we grow apart from every relationship that matters. 

But then we feel guilty when we want something for ourselves, because someone isn't caring for our needs. Someone dropped the ball in listening to you, so you try to keep being the listener but you pick up your ball too. It's a hard thing to do. It's a hard thing to do happily. And you shouldn't have to. You shouldn't be the only one willing to. You then become bitter and full of grudges.

Because loneliness is hard, but it's harder when you aren't alone.

Sometimes I drop the ball with Mr Smith. And sometimes he drops it with me. But we can always pick it back up. We can always try to live for someone else. That is what Christ showed us after all.



Comments

  1. I blogged about this same thing way back when. I didn't say it quite so eloquently as you did. I think every women knows how you feel. Especially, about dropping the ball. I had to learn I drop the ball sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...