Skip to main content

Thanks

“The Name of Mother”
“The noblest thoughts my soul can claim.
The holiest words my tongue can frame,
Unworthy are to frame the name
More sacred than all other.
An infant when her love first came,
A man, I find it just the same:
Reverently I breathe her name—
The blessed name of mother.”
—George Griffith Fetter


I'm not really good with days dedicated to people, or groups of people, and especially myself. I'm a little late on writing, especially in relation to Mother's Day, but in reality I write about being a mother all the time. I understand why we have a day dedicated to loving mothers and fathers or in reality all mothers and fathers of any kind, but truth be told, I just don't need a church meeting focused on how my mom is great or why being a mother is a blessing.  But I do think we should talk more about the woman's role in the Plan of Salvation. Maybe special attention from my husband is nice. But "happy mother's day" is like "hey how are you doing" as you're walking away. "Thanks"

This day is personal to so many. And if anything for me, it is a day to reflect on the influence of women in general. Those who are fighting like crazy to have children deserve to be at peace on this day. Those who found a miracle in pregnancy deserve to be at peace on this day. Those who have lost children deserve to be at peace on this day. Those who aren't ready to have children should be at peace on this day. Those who are watching their children grow, deserve peace on this day. For today, women care about their divine role. Because it is divine and we are a key player. And we need to respect these key players, especially those who fight like crazy to be that mother to you.

Mothers are powerful people because our roll in life all of a sudden takes on new meaning. Our power isn't gained just from merely being biologically linked. We are gifted with the creation of human life, but the power comes from our will to live for someone else and these other people, aka children, bring out our crazy. I want to be a mother, yes, but to me that is showing this daughter of God that she is divine and that this life is challenging, but she can stay true, become her best self and find her way back to an eternal family.

We shape and influence souls. But motherhood is different for everyone. Motherhood forces me into this selfless cosmic arena where I feel like I'm fighting for my sanity every day. All of a sudden who I am is re-defined. Motherhood is great. No one should flee from it, but it is okay to accept that it's a different kind of hard work. And it will push you to your limit. But you will push them too. Or drag.


I am more like my mother than she knows and I'm sure more than I realize. She deserves to feel honored. And I know that comes from seeing your children find their own faith and family.


Because I have choice, but I was taught how to find that choice and what mattered most in life.




And I am lucky, because I have a mother who is always there, even after the fights.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...