Skip to main content

Grandma & Grandpa Smith

These poor folks had to drive a crazy amount of hours to get to us and could only stay a couple of days, but we enjoyed what we could in good ole Hickory. At least they got some Lexi time in. One day we'll fly all the way to UT… hopefully before Alexis turns two. 

I gave them the three options to get to the park and unfortunately, when the sun came out, I think they regretted letting me choose. Because the hills & sun were not leisurely. But they are troopers.










I also got my new 5D Mark II Camera the day they arrived so these pictures were the first taken with it. There is a big learning curve because it is pretty different from my Rebel when it comes to button placement and options. It will be worth the investment; I'm so excited to have a full frame body and the camera of my dreams. No matter that it's discontinued since there is a version III. But I also have video capabilities now so that will be fun to mess around with. It's a ton bigger and heavier.


It was very hot when they were here so we stayed inside most of the time. We attempted strawberry picking, but due to careless citizens the farm is no longer open to the public, but we bought some fresh any way and tried our hand at frozen jam. Lots easier than canning the jam (which I tried the next day with Amy) when you don't have the supplies. I think I learned a lot so I will make that a smaller post later.

Our side of town is singing with thrift stores and consignment shops so we stopped by a few I had been curious about. I have been interested in a little rocking chair for Lexi, but they are all expensive. Resource was by far my favorite when it comes to inspiration. It inspired this cake stand for $1.50:


I don't think we'll forget this incident. I'm so glad Connie reminded me to take a picture when I was too busy standing on the chair trying not to throw up. Also, she is the one who spotted the little mouse. Yep, a mouse. So Mr Smith and my in-laws came to my rescue and captured and eliminated the threat. The elimination part was sad and I tried not to listen. I'm not ready to be the parent who kills rodents, rids lice, or picks off ticks. Ugh I just struggle with the idea.


We took a lovely morning 3-mile walk to the lake. Something I need to start doing every day.


No one is more patient then Grandpa Smith. He lets her press all the buttons:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...