Skip to main content

Night Night

I forgot that she has started repeating that phrase "Night night" - so much joy comes when your children begin to learn and understand their world.

Although it can be absolutely petrifying to think about what that world may be next year or 10 years down the road.

But let's just work on today. 

Today still includes 2 naps. 5 diapers. 5 nursing feeds. many cheerios & grapes. lots of whining and laughing. a few tears. 8 story times. hours of playtime. 1 bath time. 1,000 kisses.

and always a silent cheer when daddy pulls into the drive way.

My life is not picture perfect. I'm not sure I would have chosen every aspect of my life if I had written it down 5 years ago. But, it's still pretty great. 

The older I get, the more I realize I just need to change my picture of perfect. Riding expectations doesn't mean I'm shooting for the ground hoping it'll bounce up to the stars. It means, today is enough. And tomorrow will be too. Whatever I have temporally, or whoever I am spiritually doesn't have an end. I can always want more, and knowledge and wisdom is a continuous process. Perfection means appreciating what I have and trying to be a better person each day. I don't need something else to make me happy. I don't need someone else to make me happy. I don't need to be perfect, to be happy. It means, being happy today because today is perfect. It means Come Unto Christ because only through Him can we know joy and be perfected.

We wouldn't know happiness if it wasn't for Christ. We wouldn't know perfection if it wasn't for Christ.
He is the reason for the good mornings and the nighty nights.

He is perfect. He should be our picture.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...