Skip to main content

Develop


Remember that in-between time where I quit my job and moved and was searching for a job, but didn't have much else to do? I felt like a super underachiever and a counterproductive member of society. I made dinners and kept a clean home and that seemed like nothing in the course of nothingness. However, I just made a mini-pasta meal and put some porkchops in the crockpot and I feel very deserving of an afternoon nap. It truly is all about perspective. What wasn't an accomplishment now seems like a major feat & the reverse happens as well. Maybe we shouldn't judge ourselves or others and just do what we can when we can. Why can't we just be happy about that?

Hats off to fabulous Sunday naps. It's the last week of the first trimester, friends. I am so excited to take a giant leap onto a new platform.

Today, Mr Smith said I was doing the grass is always greener thing. I think of the DC memories, and yes, even the Provo memories and I miss something. Not that I think "oh I want to go back" but there is just something joyful about those times (and not just Cafe Rio). I don't know where we'll end up in the long run, but I know I just have to love life in the present. I have to make the most of what I have right now and not cry over things that may get lost along the way, at least not cry for long. We always want everything from our dreams, but in reality, if we're always wanting, we'll never have anything. The best opportunities for us will come, we just have to trust that working hard & being obedient pays off. 


I feel like I'm surrounded by amazingly strong women. I hope the Lord isn't blessing me to have all these great memories to look back on when I get slammed up against the wall of life, but I'll enjoy my manageable stresses and I'll admire those who face trials headstrong and faithful. How we react to difficult experiences is what makes our character. And those experiences come only to make us stronger and closer to our Savior. I know this and I know I am too weak to hold my own hand.

I love the holiday season because although the hard times still come, we're surrounded by reminders of hope and love. Tis the season y'all. I love a time of celebration.

May we always find reasons to celebrate!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...