Skip to main content

sitting on the dock of the bay

I wish I could explain it in words. Do you ever do that thing where you're listening to your ipod and you're surrounded by strangers and you're walking slow or standing still, so it seems, the world is just passing you by or is frozen. Again, my words may be failing me, but for a second, or a minute you're perfectly fine knowing you are found by everything that matters, but shadowed by bodies who know you no different than a blue pea coat and Sperry shoes. 

I still remember sneaking out of our hotel that night in Geneva and taking my walk to the docks. It was near sun down and I was a little anxious due to the vulnerable position I could easily find myself in, a single young lady in a country foreign to her natural language, but I reveled in the thought that I was alone, yet I didn't have the feeling of loneliness. It was exciting to sit on the closed cafe steps and watch the street walkers pass me by. They didn't know I was a Mormon college student on tour just for the week staring at their fancy scarves, listening to their fancy accents telling them I wanted to be alone, but wasn't lonely.

Most days I'm good with the current situation, but I think I'll forever have my dreams whisper the songs of the eastern lands to my soul.  No one can leave America without their heart decidedly bringing them back home, but sometimes - you just want to see what else is out there - touch it, breathe it, and love it.  Mr Smith and  I will travel someday. Until then, we just need a really good book list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...