Skip to main content

Can Opener

Mr Smith doesn't think can openers should cost $15. Of course I don't think so either, but don't you know how nice it is when you have a can opener that doesn't tear your fingers off or wait - ACTUALLY WORKS? So I was trying to make some ziti for dinner and here I am all up in the kitchen with the oven on, two burners going, crap stashed everywhere because we don't have much counter space, and all of a sudden I can't open the can of crushed tomatoes. It's a large can mind you, BUT COME ON. worst-timing-ever. Mr Smith was going to be home in like 15 minutes and a decent easy-to-get-to grocery store is um obsolete? So I went down to the Spanish mart next door and got one for $5. It seemed sturdy enough; I was just hoping it would be good for at least one can. Wahla! It worked and it was in the oven melting the cheese as he walked in. 

I'm sure it's wonderful to be back when I'm all dang frazzled by having my groove thrown off. Of course I called him to tell him how heated I was about the can opener. I of course had nothing further to say because I had to solve the problem fast, but just needed someone to hear me whine; and he of course was driving 70 in hurricane rain and didn't want to hear any of it. I even tried the neighbors when I REALLY didn't want to leave. never-doing-that-again. As I'm headed back into my apartment he opens the door with a shirt or sheet covering his most important parts and I was just like really? this is not happening. 

"I'm sorry I just wanted to borrow a can opener, but don't worry about it."
yuck.

Mr Smith: "Have a good time while I was gone?"
me: yuck
Mr Smith: "Where is that can opener - let me try"
me: you would

{I'll take a picture of the leftovers ASAP}
I am going to try and get the artichoke bread and cookies in the oven tonight
let's hope it goes a little smoother this time. 

Welcome home Mr. Smith!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Baby Story - Alexis

Alexis Jane Smith 04.27.13 - 5:16PM 8lbs 15oz - 22.5 inches brown hair, undetermined (blue) eyes NB clothes are too tight You hate diaper changes You love being swaddled You are a piranha for food Your skin is perfect You sleep better with noises You came out sucking on your fingers But luckily you're not a scratcher Basically, we think you're perfect. First day at home photo Dear Lexi,  We couldn't handle holding you inside my stomach for another minute. We made an appointment when the contractions never came. Things were changing, but you were still 7 days late. Maybe we were eager parents, but now that we have you in our arms, we understand why, really understand. You're amazing . By the time we showed up at your 6 AM hospital appointment to be induced, I was already 3.5 cm dilated & 90% effaced & having mild contractions. So mild I thought I might have had high pain tolerance because I didn't feel th...

We're patiently waiting

Picture Mr Smith putting together the pack-n-play. He was so cute. Mostly when he had to read the directions. Do we have a child? Don't ask such silly questions. Hopefully it won't collect too much dust in 5.5 months. We're ready now . . . (but not really) It has a changing thing and a removable bassinet that vibrates.  I'm okay with not needing a changing table.  It will probably mean we won't get a crib for awhile too.  Next we need to hear from our baby/exercise friends a good car seat & jogging stroller (maybe ones that work together)... Any favorites? Then a blanket . . . Then a breast pump . . . Then a diaper bag. . .  Then lots of diapers, toys & cute clothes.  And even a mobile.  Then they get older and there's even more things. Mr Smith is just so thrilled. I'd love to hear about any products that you recommend/absolutely love having. Here is one thing you can do to annoy Mr Smith: go ...

We Remember... All the Time We... Spent Together

My 1-1 days are shortly coming to an end with my oldest who decided to have more time with me and her youngest sibling this past year & I'll forever be grateful for that. I'm never ready for them to grow up and give most their time & attention to everyone else.  Again, we are excited for another phase & this time she gets to be the big kid coming back with more rest & confidence to wrap up her middle school years going part-time for 8th grade. Will busy work burn out still be a concern? Will "learning" in a noisy & crude environment still be a concern? Will losing more of her childhood still be a concern? Yes, yes and yes. However, she knows how to choose good friends, she knows how to work hard, and she knows she enjoys structure & peer competition coming from outside the home. I don't know if she'll push herself to participate more in sports, or find new opportunities elsewhere, but that's the blessings of this life - there are al...